Golden Crunchy Delicious Buns is a popular Nigerian street snack. It’s usually fried and sold with other snacks like puff puff and egg roll. But the buns stands out from the rest; with its unique rough and jagged exterior but soft and doughy interior, biting into it is pure bliss.
To some it’s called the rock buns, and others call it just buns. Whatever you call this street food, it delivers on its crunchiness and deliciousness. It is also quite easy to make.
There is a lady that fries near my studio, where I get my cravings fixed, and whenever I have friends over, I sometimes treat them to freshly fried hot buns: it’s only for buns lovers or willing new converts.
Buns should not be confused with puff puff. Though fried, it is not oily and doesn’t require yeast, but has almost the same ingredients and procedure. Want to experience this Nigerian street snack? Then let’s go through the ingredients and steps below.
buns stands out from the rest; with its unique rough and jagged exterior but soft and doughy interior, biting into it is pure bliss… @kraftplusTweet
2 cups Flour
½ cup Sugar
80 grams Margarine
1 teaspoon Baking powder
½ teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
½ cup Water
There is a lady that fries near my studio, where I get my cravings fixed, and whenever I have friends over, I sometimes treat them to freshly fried hot buns… @kraftplusTweet
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and create a well in the center of the mixed flour.
- Pour in the liquids: eggs, water.
- Mix together with your hands or spatula until a sticky dough is formed.
- Put your pot of oil on medium heat and to know when ready to fry, add a little dough into the hot oil, it should float to the top in seconds, then its ready.
- Add the sticky dough into the oil slowly, once the dough is in the hot oil reduces the flame a little bit, this allows the dough to cook thoroughly. It takes between 5 to 7 mins for the dough to fry, but keep your eyes on it and turn gradually until golden brown.
- Take out onto a colander to drain off the oil, fry the rest of the dough. You should have golden and crunchy buns now.
- Serve with a chilled drink or munch on it like that.